2.9.11

GRASS GIS

I'm now mainly working on Mac OS so using ArcGIS is becoming a bit of a problem. I have it on my Del laptop, but this is getting a bit slow now and it takes a while to do anything with the big datasets that I need to use of Belize. I also have VMWare on my iMac, but its linked to my university desktop environment, rather than being standalone and so the whole windows experience is quite a painful one.

Roll in - GRASS. An open source GIS package, find more information here.
GRASS works on any platform which makes it appear a good choice. I've yet to test its capabilities but I'll be updating my progress with it in the near future.

To get GRASS working, it requires three frameworks (GDAL Complete, Freetype and Cairo) to be installed prior to installing the GRASS package. Find them, and more info at www.kyngchaos.com/software/grass.


No comments:

Post a Comment