2.4.14

Arc GIS 10

I am completely frustrated by this newest version of Arc GIS. My previous version of 9.3 was easy to use, straight-forward and functional. This new version has a complicated menu arrangement and features that were easy-to use and 'available' in version 9 are now not available in the new version!

I have to say, the look and feel of the programme has not been improved either. Floating menu boxes make it easy to lose menus, and the map does not adjust to fit the screen when a new menu is added: for instance, when I add Arc Toolbox, which now seems to be hidden within the Geoprocessing option in the toolbar, I have to adjust the underlying map and the toolbox sits awkwardly at the side of the screen.

I have also been attempting to use a simple feature of GIS all day - all I want to do is clip a shape file by another shape file so that polygons in one file do not overlap with polygons in the second file and it seems impossible! Apparently, the erase tool (which online sources seems to suggest will perform this function) is only available under the advanced software download. Ridiculous!

I am NOT impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment